Week 13 Waiver Wire: Bye Bye to the Byes!
Phew! We made it. The Week 13 waiver wire is upon us and the byes are officially over. If you are reading this, then you are likely in the playoffs already or still in the hunt. Congratulations! With no teams on a bye this week and no injuries of note over the weekend, the pickings are a bit slim out there. We will do our best to highlight a few players that can help you make the push for that season-ending trophy.
The basis of this weekly article is to point out key players at every position who are readily available (less than 40% owned) in Yahoo! and ESPN leagues that you may be able to add to your roster for upside. Percent owned is shown in parentheses.
Keep in mind, each fantasy team and league is unique, as are scoring and roster formats. Think of this as a road map to your team’s success. Factor in whether or not your league uses PPR scoring, allows you to play two quarterbacks or other variables that impact your decisions to claim a player off of waiver. Let us get started.
If you have been a regular reader of this series, then you know that the highlighted quarterback has been mentioned as an add for the past several weeks. Hopefully, you listened and took advantage. Let us take a look and him and some other nuggets from players at the quarterback position that may be available if you are still in need.
Ryan Tannehill-Tennessee Titans
It is officially time to take notice and get Ryan Tannehill (26% Yahoo!, 15.3% ESPN) on your roster. The Tennessee Titans starting quarterback is here to stay. In fact, Marcus Mariota’s former backup is the QB6 over the past four weeks. Some of the names he has out produced over that span include Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott, and Deshaun Watson.
On top of that, the streak of 19 plus point games extended to five in Week 12 when the former Miami Dolphins signal-caller put up a robust 34.4 fantasy points. The converted wideout has shown great athleticism with his legs during this stretch. Tannehill has a rushing touchdown in two of his last three games, including two scores on the ground in Week 12 against the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Texas A&M grad has also averaged a healthy 38.33 yards on the ground over the last three games. That is additional 3.83 points per week that come in very handy.
Next on the docket for the red-hot quarterback is a matchup against a tough Indianapolis Colts defense that ranks 22nd in quarterback points allowed. After that, it is two straight games against defenses that rank among the top ten in points allowed to the position. The Titans have the Oakland Raiders in Week 14 (6th) and then a juicy game against the division rival Houston Texans (3rd) in Week 15. Finally, for all the fantasy glory in Week 16, there is an acceptable matchup against the New Orleans Saints (15th). Here is a look at the FFStatistics per game against defensive average chart to illustrate how good the schedule is down the stretch for Tannehill.
Notable Quarterback Fantasy Nuggets
- Sam Darnold (39% Yahoo!, 18.9% ESPN) had his third straight game over 20 fantasy points and has some nice matchups coming up against the Cincinnati Bengals and Miami Dolphins over the next two weeks.
- Nick Foles (33% Yahoo!, 23.4% ESPN) has attempted 47 and 48 passes respectively in his two games since returning from injury. While the numbers are not quite there yet, a matchup with the cupcake secondary that is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers await him in Week 13.
- Andy Dalton (6% Yahoo!, 3.5% ESPN) has been named the starter for Week 13. With bye weeks now behind us, he can safely be left on the wire except in two-quarterback leagues.
The Week 13 waiver wire report continues with the running back position. There was an interesting development in the Seattle Seahawks backfield in Week 12 that is worth noting. Let us get into that and some other notes for the position.
Rashaad Penny-Seattle Seahawks
Are you ready? It is Rashaad Penny (20% Yahoo!, 28.6% ESPN) time yet again. We last heard from the former first-round pick just before the trade deadline when he was showcased a little more to try to drum up some value. Another costly Chris Carson fumble and we are right back on that hype train. Penny set a season-high in carries (14) and yards (129) in Week 12 on his way to 19.90 PPR points against a stout Philadelphia Eagles run defense.
Maybe we are finally seeing the signs of maturation from the highly touted running back. Interestingly enough, Penny credits his career day to eliminating fast food from his diet. McDonald’s to be specific. Looking at the point per rushing opportunity chart, we see that Penny has actually been better than Carson this year. The San Diego State alum has just lacked the latitude to do it with Carson performing well, minus the fumbling issues. Now maybe the time for him to pounce. Take a shot and add him for the stretch run. He could be a league winner.
Notable Running Back Fantasy Nuggets
- Benny Snell (5% Yahoo!, 3.5% ESPN) had 21 carries for 98 yards in Week 12. While James Conner is expected back for Week 13, he has not been able to stay healthy this year. Snell should be owned as a bench stash for his shear usage potential should Conner miss more time yet again.
- Darrel Williams (6% Yahoo!, 4.9% ESPN) could have a role with the Kansas City Chiefs should Damien Williams miss time with his rib injury. News has been slow to come out regarding that injury. Darrel Williams did see 11 carries when Damien went down last Monday night and figures to at least share the load with LeSean McCoy.
- Nyheim Hines (30% Yahoo!, 34.7% ESPN) is worth a look with Marlon Mack already being ruled out for Week 13. Hines has gone over eight PPR points in three straight weeks. Jordan Wilkins has been invisible with the emergence of Jonathan Williams. While you are scouring for Hines, be sure that Williams (63% Yahoo!, 29.1% ESPN) is not available instead.
We roll on with the Week 13 waiver wire feature with the wide receiver position. James Washington was covered here last week. It is with the hope that you were not too late in grabbing him. Let us dive in.
A.J. Brown-Tennessee Titans
We go back to the well with the Tennessee Titans and A.J. Brown (16% Yahoo!, 15.4% ESPN). Brown had his second 20 plus PPR game of the season and his third double-digit game over his last five contests played. Brown is a breakout waiting to happen. With Ryan Tannehill humming and a nice schedule on the horizon, Brown is worth a speculative add to see if the two can maintain their chemistry together.
The Mississippi grad is long on talent, size, and speed. His sophomore year saw him go for over 1,200 yards and 11 touchdowns in just 11 games. While still raw, the blow-up games like this are bound to be more plentiful going forward. Stash him and reap the benefits late in the season. Keep in mind, NFL lineups get funky around Week 16 with starters resting. You never know what position you may be in need of to field a quality roster. Take a look at the solid college numbers from Brown.
Notable Wide Receiver Fantasy Nuggets
- Randall Cobb (30% Yahoo!, 39.3% ESPN) has three straight double-digit games, including two of three in the twenties. The veteran wideout has seen at least seven targets over the past four games.
- James Washington (20% Yahoo!, 21.6% ESPN) is still readily available. A change at quarterback could be just what the doctor ordered to reignite his season. Washington went for a 79-yard touchdown in Week 12 and finished with 18.80 PPR points on the day.
- N’Keal Harry (14% Yahoo!, 11.3% ESPN) caught a touchdown in his second career NFL game. The rookie finished the day with four targets for the second straight week. With the injuries still unknown at the position in New England, the Arizona State grad could prove viable down the stretch.
We close the week 13 waiver wire report with the Tight End position. This is a position that is as barren as it has been all year. Here are just a few nuggets to consider when scouring for a fill in if you are still in need at the spot.
Notable Tight End Fantasy Nuggets
- Mike Gesicki (15% Yahoo!, 9.1% ESPN) has seen at least six targets in four straight games. The Penn State grad also caught a touchdown in Week 12.
- David Njoku (30% Yahoo!, 19.8% ESPN) is a name to monitor as he is getting close to a return from an early-season wrist injury. The offense is such that he may be usable down the stretch. Especially if Cleveland remains in playoff contention.
- Noah Fant (40% Yahoo!, 39.9% ESPN) saw another five targets in Week 12 against a tough Buffalo Bills defense. The rookie is always one play away from winning a week for you.
- Irv Smith Jr. (2% Yahoo!, 4.1% ESPN) is criminally under-owned at a thin position. Smith has seen six targets in three of his past five games and is in a great offense.
The bye weeks have finally come to an end. We still need to be active on the wire to stay relevant all season long. The hope is that this article helps make your waiver wire decisions a little bit easier. Come back every Tuesday for the latest rendition of this series to help you build your fake team into a contender if you happened to miss on some draft picks. Injuries play a vital role in fantasy and one of the biggest advantages you can have is to be active on the wire every week. Good luck on your playoff push for the next couple of weeks.